1. Are SJID and SJRWMD the same agencies?
    No.  SJID (St Johns Improvement District) only has a jurisdictional area in the southwestern section of Indian River County.  SJRWMD (St Johns River Water Management District) is one of the five Water Management Districts in the state of Florida and has regional jurisdiction over surface and groundwater matters throughout its multi-county area.  Both entities take their name from the St Johns River.  SJID is part of the headwaters for the St Johns River.
    SJID is bounded on the north by State Road 60 (SR 60), on the east: generally by the western border of Indian River Farms Water Control District, on the south by the Indian River/ St Lucie County line, and on the west: generally by the eastern border of Fort Drum Marsh and the C-52 canal extension.

  2. Does SJID provide water and/ or sewer services?
    No. SJID is not involved in the hook-up of potable (piped) water or sewer services.  Please contact your local municipality for the proper utility service contact. For those outside of a service boundary, check with Indian River County for well and septic requirements.

  3. The ditch behind/ beside my house needs attention!
    Your home is probably not located within our District.  Please see the maps section of our page to determine which district may be of better service to you.  Our contacts page has phone numbers to contact the appropriate district.

  4.  Who sets the policies for SJID?
    The Board of Supervisors, consisting of three members, are elected on rotational terms by the landowners within the District.  The Board holds regularly scheduled meetings which are open to the local landowners and potential landowners. If you have an item you would like included on the agenda, please contact the District Administrator no less than two weeks prior to the next Board meeting.  An annual landowners meeting is held in the Spring.  Please see our calendar page for the current meeting schedule.

  5. Do I need a permit to build/ alter the land in SJID?
    Yes.  If you intend to alter any drainage structures, including removal, please contact the District Administrator to discuss permit requirements, especially when converting the use of the land from current use to any other use, including aquaculture.

  6. Can I fence my property?
    Yes.  However, ALL fencing must allow for SJID to maintain rights-of-ways and easements.  For pump ditches and laterals, this requires at least a 25' set back from the canal (top of bank).  Please contact the office prior to installing fences so that we may assist you in determining the set backs required.  Fences on the right-of-way or easement may be removed by District personnel without notice; costs associated with the moving and/or removal of fencing are the responsibility of the landowner.

  7. Does SJID restrict the use of surface water within the District?
    Yes.  At times, the District may impose conservation practices which will restrict the use of surface water.  This usually occurs during a time of low water elevations.  Water within the District is tested quarterly.  A copy of this report is available by request from the District Administrator.

  8. Does the receipt of an SJID permit relieve the requirement of other project permits from any US Governmental agency, State of Florida agency, County or other local governmental  entities?
    No.  SJID is just one of many permits a landowner may need to acquire for a project.  It is the responsibility of the landowner to ascertain and obtain permitting requirements for their project.

  9. I'm buying/ selling a property in the District and a question has arisen regarding ingress/egress to the property.
    Please refer to the Plan of Reclamation (1963) document; most title insurance concerns regarding ingress/ egress of property within the District are covered in section (6) Roadways found on page (10).

  10. For Title Agencies: 
    District Assessments are per acre or portion thereof and are the same regardless of land use.  0.98 acres would be charged for 1 acre.  1.02 acres would be charged for 2 acres. 
    Assessments are for the fiscal year, which begins on October 1st, and payable by Apirl of the following year.  As an example, fiscal year 23 began on October 1st, 2022.
    Assessment rates for the upcoming fiscal year are set at the meeting the May prior to fiscal year begin.
    The assessment is non ad valorem, which means that it isn't based on the value of the property.

  11. If I change the land use can I get a reduction in the non ad valorem assessment?
    No. The assessment is per acre or portion thereof, regardless of land use.  No discounts are available from the District.  The county may provide a discount for early payment (November to February) at their discretion.

905 122nd Ave SW
Vero Beach, FL 32968